Back in December I talked about the Dutch Eurovision entry which is Trijtntje Oosterhuis this year. The 2015 show will be held in Vienna, Austria on the 23rd May 2015. I can’t wait!
This morning I woke up to the news that our UK entry has been selected. WOW! We never get it right in this country and thats fine, we’ve had ‘celebrities’ go up for it and proper weird freshies. They use to have a tv talent show to find the one too where there people of England get to choose but that was rubbish. Instead the last few years we’ve just been told. Maybe thats why we never win, nobody is bothered who represents us so we don’t care. Anyway…this years entry is right up my street. I can’t work out if the song itself is any good, it is a little shit really but the video and the music is so infectious. The last time we won was in 1997 with Katrina and the Waves – ‘Love, Shine a Light‘. Now if you listen back to that now its pretty epically awful!
The song for this year is called ‘Still In Love With You’ by Electro Velvet. I think I can make such a bold claim as to say that I love it. I’ve heard it three times now and I’ve got it on whilst writing this post. My mom’s opinion was ‘its that shit its good’. My mom is never wrong. Its very Great Gatsby, 1940’s jazz, Charleston. That era of music is such a guilty pleasure of mine, hence my infatuation with Caro Emerald. There has been a mixed reaction for this track but at the end of the day its a bit of fun, its catchy, its different, lets give it a chance! I hope when they perform it live its as jam packed as the video. I want all the dancers and the trumpets. I want the works!
Are we going to win? Probably not.
Will everyone like the song? Probably not.
Will it go down in history as one of our best ever entries? Probably not.
Do I care? Most definitely not. I really like it and wish the guys all the success!
A few reasons why I think it just might do well:
- The rest of the world quite like musical history and the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s genres of music. You’ve only gotta look at films and tv shows such as Great Gatsby, Bugsy Malone, Downton Abbey etc. There is an essence of magic within historical genres and you can have much more fun with it all.
- Its catchy. Its foot tapping. Its memorable.
- There’s that issue with something being that rubbish its good like those kids that are so ugly they are cute.
- If its directed properly on stage it will make for a great show.
- With lyrics such as ‘because you’re so gorgeous, you have to be cautious’ and ‘You have a fun time, you soak up that sunshine, But don’t drink too much wine…’ its a very rhyming song, therefore making the words and melody much easier to learn! Its also on the verge of being a little cringeworthy too! ‘Don’t stay out at midnight, Don’t get in a fist fight’ LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
I have readers from across the world on this blog and as history serves our best ‘eurovision allies’ are Ireland, Switzerland, France, Austria and Belgium. I’m counting on you lot to show us the love again! Lets face it anything is better than that dreaded ‘nul point’!
So without further ado here it is. The UK Eurovision Song Contest 2015 Entry.
What do you think? What is your countries entry? Who are you looking forward to seeing perform? Or are you anti-eurovision?