Christmas food has to be the most iconic menu change in my life. Everything we eat changes at this time of year. Sprouts – I’m gonna say it so be gentle with me, I like them. I like them because I know I only have to put up with them for like 3 weeks of the year.
The Christmas Recipe I’m going to be sharing with you is my fool proof Christmas Cake.
What you need:
1kg mixed fruit (if it doesn’t come with cherries throw a packet of them in too!)
175g Plain Flour
2tsp Mixed Spice
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
175g Brown Sugar.
100g Nuts (i like to use walnuts purely personal as they are my favourite ‘cake’ nut)
- About a week before soak your fruit in 125ml of Brandy (super alcoholic cake makes like myself do this two weeks before adding twice the amount but leaving a week between each spiking).
- Mix together the butter and sugar, if you’ve over done the alcohol like I usually do I whack in a spoonful of treacle or syrup, it works well with the festive flavours. Add the fruit and the eggs.
- Mix in the dry ingredients. the consistency will thicken up but still remain quite runny.
- Grease a 20cm cake tin, line with 2 layers of greaseproof and pour the mixture into the tin.
- The cake has to be cooked for 2-2.5hrs. Because of this long cooking time its advised to fasten a double layer of newspaper, taller than the cake, around the tin. I am always weary of putting newspaper in the oven and convinced that one day I’ll burn the house down and loose the cake but its ok, that won’t happen.
En voila. Christmas Cake!! Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin, my advice would be to cook it late afternoon then leave it over night before even considering taking it out of the tin. When its fully cold and out of the tin you can decorate it in any way you like. We tend to go traditional in my house, marzipan and icing.
Warning: Be prepared for your entire house to smell all christmasy. Its just amazing!