Today marks the Autumn Equinox. The day when both the North Pole and South Pole are fully alined giving the northern and southern hemisphere the same hours of daylight. As we leave the summer behind and embark on the change of seasons into Autumn I thought we would all like a bit of a summer wind up, a chance to look back and look forward. I LOVE autumn. Its my favourite season for so many reasons. Summer is great; light nights, warm air, holidays etc they are all great but in my opinion you just can’t beat a thick wolly jumper, a scarf, a hat and a hot cup o’ cocoa. As the leaves change colour and everything retreats to prepare for the cold to come my inner granny comes out and I’m not complaining, cozy nights and candles become family favourite and soups and stews replace bbq food. In this post I’m going to wrap up my summer, forecast for the autumn and share what I love most about this time of year.
Summer went by in a flash didn’t it! Here we are in the middle of September with nothing but memories of warmer days and the start of the new academic year. My Summer was rather fun. Officially Summer began on the 21st June this year.
I kicked of Summer 2015 with Armed Forces Day. A fantastic day to mark our countries appreciation for our Armed Forces with a little joyful dress up getting all vintage like. I think I carry of Victory Rolls rather well! Afternoon Teas and Dinner Parties. This Summer involved a lot of dinning out. A lot less focus was put on getting a ‘summer body’ and much more on socialising. Priorities! August also marked my WP Anniversary, 3 years registered and one year of this humble little blog of mine. The end of the summer also meant my summer VayCay. Of which you’ve hopefully read all about. Check it out if you haven’t!
Autumn days, when the grass is jewelled, and the silk inside a chestnut shell, Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled, all these things I love so well
– Estelle White
As you may remember I took up a few challenges for August and I never got round to reporting back. Well there’s no better time than the present!
- August Blogging Challenges – 30 consecutive blog posts. I did manage to see the month through but it was impossible for me to write every day so I did have to chase my tail a little. We did it and I want to thank everyone for reading them, following them and for all of the lovely comments. I enjoyed reading every else challenges. Girls you done great!
- 10K steps a day – I did say at the start that this would be a challenge I would struggle to meet and I wasn’t wrong! I averaged 6,197 steps a day, with only 2 days out of 30 when I smashed the target. Looking at my chart I can’t even say what days where my strongest across the month, it was all pretty crap. Tuesday’s where good for me averaging 8,566 but the rest of the month was as disappointing as I expected it to be.
- No spend Summer – now this was fun! I managed to spend £53.01 in August and in all fairness I can justify every penny of that. What helped: I had my lunch brought for me a few times, by offer more than suggestion and by walking to a from work I saved petrol which meant that I didn’t have to fill the car up at all in August. I am currently saving my socks off at the moment so I have decided to monitor my September spending too. I quite enjoy savings and budgeting, which is surprising considering how much I love spending! I’m going to write about saving at some point in the near future. I’m starting to venture into a few more lifestyle posts lately so that may go down well. Let me know if its something you would like to see more of on here.
Clouds that look like familiar faces, and a winter’s moon with frosted rings
Longsleves, thick socks and blankets are now beginning to dominate my life which can mean only one thing. The end of the year is upon us, Hallowe’en and Bonfire night are a stones throw away and the ‘C’ word is being thrown about in shops and on the radio. Our burgers and salads are morphing into Grandma’s stew, porridge for breakfast and hot toddies. The flees blanket is back on the bed and wooly pyjamas have put those silky nighties to the back of the draw.
Things I love about the golden season.
- Red, Purple and Orange everything. Autumnal colours make me happy and cozy. We’re talking clothes, nails, lips, pictures, filters, shoes, coats, scarves, shoes…Everything I own turns a different shade of red.
- Good TV! The colder months always means better TV. New series of Downton Abbey, Original Drama’s become popular again, Doctor Who is back, you know what I’m getting at.
- Hot Chocolate. Specifically Chocomel. I have a carton in my cupboard ready for that first sign of frost.
- A trip to Orange World. With Sinterklaas on route so am I. I hope to steal a few days away from home and visit just before Christmas. December is looking to be a no-go but I have high hopes for November. I don’t have plans set just yet but what I’d give for a few gezellig avonds is unreal!
- Boots. Wearing thick tights and boots! Say no more!
So there we have it. My summer highlights and my autumn dreams. Just to put this into context and give you that cozy feeling, in case you haven’t got there just yet, this post was written to the following tune. I love the song, it makes me smile, it reminds me of Primary School assemblies and epitomises everything that I love about Autumn.
“…To say a great big thank you, I mustn’t forget.” Happy Autumn Everyone!